Republished from www.news-journalonline.com
By Linda Trimble
Published: Monday, February 10, 2014 at 8:34 p.m.
DELAND — An Ormond Beach firm that sold website advertising which brought $145,301 into Volusia County school coffers since 2011 will keep that job for another three years.
The Volusia County School Board renewed its contract Monday with School Partnerships LLC, which has a similar advertising sales contract with Flagler schools.
The new Volusia contract will expand School Partnerships’ role from selling ads on district-operated websites to those of individual schools, which are just starting to tap that as a way to boost revenue.
The firm sold $196,220 worth of ads in its first three years, with Volusia schools netting $145,301 after School Partnership’s $50,919 commission. About $2,900 of that went to individual schools for ads posted on their websites, with the district collecting the rest.
Seven of Volusia’s 10 high schools are already accepting or about ready to start posting ads on their websites, Area Superintendent Tom Russell told the School Board. The rest of the high schools and Volusia’s elementary and middle schools are expected to start carrying ads on their websites by this summer.
School Partnerships will continue collecting the same 25 percent commission on advertising sales that it does now, with the district getting the other 75 percent for ads posted on websites it operates, such as the district’s home page or parent portal. Participating schools would split the 75 percent for ads posted on their individual websites, Area Superintendent Tom Russell told the School Board.
In other action, the board also approved contracts adding seven Volusia law firms to the list of those eligible to represent the district in various legal fields. The board agreed last summer to invite all members of the Volusia County Bar Association to apply if they were interested in joining the eligible firms hired as legal issues arise.
Joining the list Monday were Kinsey, Vincent, Pyle; DeLoach Law; Hassell-Legal; Lewis & Leiser; Rice and Rose; and Eraclides, Gellman, Hall, Indek & Goodman, all of Daytona Beach; and Clay L. Meek, Ormond Beach.